Thursday, January 14, 2010

Free Agency By The Numbers

With free agency underway and the general consensus that this is a "big free agent class", thought I'd do a little research to see what the numbers say.

7 -
smallest number of A/B free agents signed in a season in Kinsella (Season 5)
18.7 - average number of A/B free agents signed in a season in Kinsella
34- largest number of A/B free agents signed in a season in Kinsella (Season 3)
47 - number of A/B free agents available this year (at least). 22 pitchers, 25 postion players

Clearly, Season 5 was a real drought. I wasn't here in Season 3, but my first year in Field of Dreams, we had 35 A/B free agents and that was a blast. My team signed nearly an entire pitching staff in FA, including 3 starters who were in CY contention all year and an overpaid RP who turned in about a 5.50 ERA.

With 47 A/B's available, it looks like a slam dunk we'll break our record of 34.

I'm not sure what this says about the prices at the top end, but I'll bet it just about guarantees there will be some bargains to be had.

Probably also means a bigger shakeup in "the order of things" is possible this year than in most.

No comments:

Post a Comment